Sunday, April 17, 2011

Of All Things Green


Green Chicken A La Ruth
Some time ago, while browsing in a second hand book shop I came across an ancient book with dog ears on the art of barbecue. It had no cover, so I do not know who the author was, but the recipes are absolutely brilliant and I spent an entire afternoon flipping through the pages and envisioning the various recipes. For some reason "Green Chicken" fasicnated me and I decided to make it at the first opportunity. I always add a twist of my own to every recipe, so although it turned out quite different from what it was supposed to be, the taste was fabulous and the empty plates a proof of this.

The Recipe

1 kg skinless chicken breasts, wash & drain.

For marinade: 1 medium sized onion, sliced; 4 flakes garlic, peeled; juice of 1/2 lemon; a handful of spring onions,corriander & mint leaves; black salt to taste; 2 green chillies and 1/2 tsp pepper powder or more to taste; 1/2 inch ginger & 1/4 cup grapefruit juice. Grind in mixer until smooth.

Marinade the cut & drained chicken overnight. Barbecue or grill for five minutes each side at 250 C till brown and done. Serve as starters or accompaniment to a meal. Goes well with garlic bread too.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Ruth......this would be lovely on a barbie all smokey...yum

    ReplyDelete