Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Omlette In Mango Sauce

Moz San Go
I was very excited when my recipe for Mango Sauce was published in the Eve's Weekly years ago.  I have always loved experimenting in the kitchen and the Mango Sauce I made is today a household favourite.  I always have a bottle handy and use it with fried eggs, omlettes, chaat, bread and butter and plain boiled vegetables as well.  I gave it a fancy name because that's just what it is- a delectable figment of my imagination stored in a long glass bottle.

The Recipe:  

One  2 egg omlette cut into 3 pieces.  Keep warm

For The Sauce:  2 cups water; tamarind to taste; 4 country mangoes, skinned; 3 dried red chillies, broken into bits; a pinch of mustard; a sprig of curry leaves; 1 tsp ginger garlic, minced; oil for frying; jaggery or brown sugar to taste; a pinch of salt.

Soak the mango skins and tamarind  in the water for twenty minutes.  Squeeze and keep aside.  Heat the oil and add the mustard.  When it spurts, add the curry leaves and broken chillies.  Add the minced ginger garlic and stir for a minute.  Lower heat and add the tamarind water and the mangoes, jaggery and salt.  Bring to the boil.  Lower heat and simmer till sauce consistency is reached.  Cool, remove mangoes (can eat them) and bottle.  Keep in the refrigerator and use as and when desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment