Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The Treasure Hunt

Chilli Chicken Surprise

This is another delectable recipe which evokes mirth. Soon after we came to Kuala Lumpur I began to be fascinated by the varieties of cuisine one could see in every quarter. Since I love Chinese food, I decided to learn how to make it and beseeched all my new friends and acquaintances for recipes and demonstrations. One of the recipes I observed was the above and so I decided to make it myself one Sunday. The ingredients were bought and stored away. I finally made it and found that my dear daughters had found my hidden stash of cashewnuts and eaten it all up!
The Recipe
1 large chicken breast without skin, washed, drained and cut into cubes: oil for deep frying
For marinade: 1 tbsp cornflour; 1 egg, beaten lightly; salt and pepper to taste
Seasoning: 3 to 4 dried red chillies, broken into pieces; 2 tbsp peanut oil
For Garnish: 15 cashewnuts fried golden brown; 1 spring onion chopped fine
For Sauce: 1 tbsp cornflour and 1 soup cube dissolved in ½ cup water
1 red or green capsicum, cubed.
Marinade chicken in cornflour, pepper powder, salt and egg for 15 minutes making the pieces are coated nicely. Heat the oil and deep fry to golden brown. Drain on kitchen paper, cover and keep hot.
Heat 2 tbsp peanut oil and add the broken chillies to it. Stir fry a minute. Add the sauce ingredients and when it begins to boil, lower flame stirring all the while for a minute. Add the fried chicken and capsicum, mix well and transfer to serving dish. Garnish with cashew nuts and spring onions. Serve hot with Chinese Fried Rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment