Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Woman Of Substance

Appetite For Avocado


Avocados or butterfruit as they are also known, are one of my favourite fruits. And whenever I see one I remember my late mum-in-law Mercy Isaac (Pichamuthu). And have a good laugh over the story she told me. She was a force to reckon with. Have no idea how she managed to nurture eleven children, feed them, clothe them and give them the attention they each required, and also do her numerous good deeds and social work, when I had to juggle my time between two girls. She was always ready to help people and was a very good conversationalist. And was a wizard at cooking. She had a huge compound in which there were numerous avocado trees and apparently none of her family liked them, so the boys used the fruit for target practice. I love them and Nehru watched in horror as I devoured them in soups, sauces, dips, salads, cakes, smoothies, shakes, puddings and much more. One day I decided to trick him and served him a delicious pudding with pieces of mango in it. After he ate it with enjoyment, I told him it was his favourite bĂȘte noire.
The Recipe
2 cups low fat milk; 2 ripe avocados, scoop out the flesh and blend till smooth; 1 ripe mango, skinned & cubed; 3 tsp gelatine dissolved in ¼ cup hot milk; sugar to taste.
Add the sugar to the milk and stir till dissolved. Add the blended avocado, and gelatine and beat till smooth and creamy with an electric beater. Transfer to serving dish and gently add the cubed mangoes, reserving some for decoration. Set in refrigerator. Decorate with reserved mango before serving.

Avocados are a very misunderstood fruit. A lot of people detest them. They are a super food packed with essential nutrients, easy to digest and are rich in natural antibiotic and antifungal chemicals. Avocados contain monounstaurated fat, which is a healthy, beneficial fat. Research has shown that adding naturally fatty foods such as avocados to the diet is associated with optimal nutrient absorption.

No comments:

Post a Comment