Friday, December 23, 2011

His & Hers

Sugared Cashew Nuts



Sugared Cashew Nuts remind me of my grandmother (the late Wilhelmina Soans nee Tholar). Every Christmas she would meticulously pack a large box of home made and bought goodies and mail to her grandchildren in various parts of South India. Christmas for me is synonymous with Sugared Cashewnuts and everything nice. However, my dear spouse prefers the spicy version, so I always make some for him so that I can eat the sugard nuts all by myself!

The Recipe


1/2 kg Cashew Nuts; 1/2 cup sugar; few drops food colouring of your choice- I used Red; 2 tbsp water.

Warm Cashew Nuts in the oven at 100 C for 10 minutes. Cool completely. Place the sugar and water in a heavy bottomed pan and bring to the boil, stirring constantly. This happens in a few minutes, so be very careful to avoid burning. When sugar has completely dissolved and is of a one thread consistency add the food colouting and give it a quick whirl. Add the Cashew Nuts and mix well. Tumble on to a tray lined with baking paper and cool completely. Store in airtight containers. Absolutely irresistible!

For Masala Cashew Nuts visit my earlier blog entry

http://www.fromthefryingpan.blogspot.com/2009/12/nutty-about-nuts.html


Merry Christmas to one and all!

No comments:

Post a Comment