Thursday, December 22, 2011

My Sweet Obcession

Spanish Macaroons



I love reading and cookery books top the list. I would browse through any book, anywhere and jot down ideas and recipes everywhere. Over the years I have built up an awesome collection of recipes and imagine my delight when I found this tattered book in a second hand shop full of traditional recipes. I was elated to find a range of different kinds of Macaroons and have been trying out a few every year. Macaroons have their special charm. You place them on a baking tray and watch them take their own shape, spreading in every direction as if to express their individuality. None of the stereotyped, mass produced, tube squished macaroons for me. This Christmas I chose to make Spanish Macaroons, a delicate blend of orange peel and almonds with a wonderful aroma. Breathe in the delicious fragrance before you indulge in my sweet obcession.

The Recipe

1 cup flaked almonds; 250 gms powdered sugar sugar; rind of 1 orange; ¼ tsp. almond essence; 1 egg white (large).

Mix all ingredients except egg together. Add egg white slowly. Mix to dough consistency. Form into walnut sized balls. Arrange on lined tray, leaving space in between for spreading. Bake in preheated oven at 140C for 15 minutes or till done.

I also baked Designer Macaroons which are the traditional Mangalore Macaroon Recipe with almond flakes and a dash of red. Looks exotic and a sure party pleaser.

Visit http://www.fromthefryingpan.blogspot.com/2009/12/christmas-tyme.html for the recipe.

Indulge your passion for baking & May You Have A Blessed Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment