Friday, June 28, 2013

Broccoli Stir Fry

Broccoli And Almonds Stir Fry
 Broccoli is one of my favourite vegetables.  I used to read about it in books and cookery magazines and wonder how it tasted.  When I came to Malaysia, I was thrilled to see it everywhere we went -  in the supermarket, at the pasar malam or night market, in the wet market and all the dinners or restaurants we went to.  I love it and Ranita hates it, so we have come to a compromise- she eats the almonds and I eat the broccoli!

The Recipe:

1 head of broccoli, cut into flowerettes; 2 tbsp flaked almonds, lightly roasted in the oven at 50 Centigrade for 3 minutes; 3 flakes garlic, minced; 1 small onion, chopped fine; salt & pepper to taste; oil for cooking.

Soak broccoli in salted water (enough to cover the broccoli and 1 tsp salt) for 10 minutes; Drain.  Heat a wok and add 1 tbsp oil.  Stir fry the minced garlic and chopped onion till transparent.  Add the broccoli and stir fry on high heat for 5 minutes.  It should be crunchy and not soggy.  Add pepper and salt to taste and throw in the almonds.  Serve immediately as a side dish.  Tastes good and supremely easy to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment