Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Mangalorean Cashew Pulav

Cashew Rice
Ever since I listed my kitchen with Plate Culture, I have been cooking Mangalorean Food for special occasions.  To hone my skills and also to plan for future cookery classes.  My family and friends are very appreciative and give me positive feedback all the time.  All the participants loved the idea of cooking their own Indian food in far away lands and here is one of the recipes I taught them.

The Recipe:

250 gms long grain, basmati rice, washed and drained; 1 cup cashew nuts, soaked overnight; 1 large onion, sliced fine; 1 inch piece ginger, minced; 4 large cloves garlic, minced; salt to taste; 1 tbsp ghee; 1 tbsp olive oil and 500 ml warm water; 2 cloves, 1 inch stick cinnamon and 2 cardamoms, whole.

Heat the ghee and oil (add both together) in a non stick pan.  Throw in the spices and when they crackle, lower heat and add onions, ginger and garlic.  Stir fry a few minutes till golden brown.  Add the rice and gently mix until transparent and all the grains coated with oil.  Add the soaked cashews (discard the water) and stir fry a few minutes.  Transfer to rice cooker, add salt and warm water and cook till done.  Serve with Chicken Stew and Cucumber Pachdi.



2 comments: